Friday 23 October 2015

Llyn Cwmorthin and Quarry, Nr.Blaenau Ffestiniog

Start Point - Carpark SH684453

Second outing in two days and last of this one week holiday, I'm heading to the old ruined slate miners barracks and chapel on the edge of Llyn Cwmorthin near the village of Tanygrisiau.
I start out at quarter to nine in the morning traveling over the Denbigh moors until coming to the A5. Then heading towards Betws-Y-Coed but turning left just before the town onto the A470. Passing through the small village of Dolwyddelan I continue up and over the Crimea Pass coming down passing Llechwedd Slate Caverns on my left and Gloddfa Ganol Slate mines on my right I finaly come to the small town  of Blaenau Ffestiniog. Heading for the village of Tanygrisiau from the first roundabout on the outskirts of the town I follow into the village taking a right turn, heading up a steep hill, under a railway bridge I see car parking spaces on the side of the lane to the left.
From here there are two footpaths, one veering to the left which was closed and under repair, the other heads straight up from the carpark, through a gate with an initial steep climb passing a waterfall on the left.


 
The track levels out after a short period and I come to an open area of ground, slate piled high to my right and the river running its man made channels to my left. Following on, up a slight incline I turn left, over a small bridge and onto the track following the shores of the lake.
 
Its over cast and there's a bit of a chill in the air, the surrounding mountain summits are cloud covered and don't show any sign of making an appearance whilst I'm here.
 
The remains of the quarry men's barracks

 
Those steps provide a convenient spot for a rest, cup of coffee and some spicy Mexican rice on the return trip back to the car.
 
Continuing along the track I soon come to Capel Rhosydd, a ruined chapel, the only place of worship for the workmen and there families and also used for the schooling of the children.
 


 
Continuing from here I can glimpse  Plas Cwmorthin through its surrounding trees at the foot of the lake to the right of the track but head first to the large ruins of Rhosydd. Sitting down to rest the legs I can't help but think what life was like back in the 1800 when people lived and worked here. The quarry had a reputation for poor working conditions and was known locally as "The Slaughterhouse''. Between 1875 and 1893 there were 21 deaths in Cwmorthin out of a workforce of around 550. Hard time we can't imagine nowadays but somehow, in places like this you feel it or sense it. Whilst in the chapel I tried to envisage it back then, with men women and children praying to God, music, a piano maybe playing the tune to Hymes as the people sing. But no more, just a ruined old building from times gone by. But there is a presence, a feeling to be felt.
Time for a few more photos from the large ruins at the end of the valley. The point where the path takes a turn to the left and leads up a steep incline to more ruins further up the mountain.
 



 
Foel Ddu.
 

 
A view back down the valley.
 
Starting on the return trip, I take a left onto a short narrow path over a brook to the gardens of Plas Cwmorthin partly hidden beneath a stand of pine trees.
 
 

 

 
 

 

 

 
Plas Cwmorthin from the track.
 
 
Plas Cwmorthin is where the quarry manager  would of lived in his relative luxury surroundings. Built around 1860 this building possessed four rooms on each of the two levels plus what looks like a nice garden area.
Back to the track to make my way back to the carpark, stopping once for a coffee and food before heading back down past the beautiful waterfall to the car.
 
 

 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment